Green Mountain Energy Company offers tips for a greener holiday season
Austin, Texas – With Thanksgiving almost here that means the holiday season is upon us. While this time of year brings good cheer for most people, it also brings a lot more solid waste to the landfill, increased electricity use and harm to the environment.
Between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, the amount of household garbage in the U.S. increases by 25 percent and electricity consumption increases by 27 percent. Green Mountain Energy Company is providing some simple steps consumers can take to reduce their environmental impact and make this holiday season greener – at home and on the go.
“By taking a few easy steps, consumers can enjoy a greener holiday season this year and give the Earth a gift,” said Paul Markovich, senior vice president of Residential Services, Green Mountain Energy Company.
Green Mountain’s Top 10 Green Holiday Tips
1. Send online e-cards instead of printed greeting cards.
2. Avoid using disposable dinnerware when entertaining guests.
3. Purchase eco-friendly gifts. Look for gifts with environmental messages or benefits: a nature book, refillable thermos bottle, battery recharger or items made from recycled materials. Choose solar powered products.
4. Bring a reusable bag when shopping, such as a tote to carry your purchases.
5. Use LED holiday lights to decorate your home. These lights are up to 90 percent more efficient than incandescent lights and can last up to 20 years! They can be found at some of the larger retail outlets. http://www.ase.org/content/news/detail/2737
6. Use timers for your holiday lights to limit their use to only six hours a day.
7. Keep the cold out by sealing air leaks in your home with caulk and weather stripping.
8. Close the flue in your fireplace and block the hearth to prevent heat loss when you’re not enjoying a fire.
9. Give your friends and family the gift of energy-efficiency found at www.greenmountain.com/powerperks.
10. Donate your time to an environmental group. Get into the holiday spirit by volunteering!
About Green Mountain Energy Company
Green Mountain, the nation’s leading provider of cleaner energy and carbon offset solutions, was founded in 1997 “to change the way power is made.” The company is the longest serving green power marketer in the U.S. Green Mountain offers consumers and businesses the choice of cleaner electricity products from renewable sources such as wind and water, as well as a variety of carbon offset products. Green Mountain customers have collectively helped avoid over 4.9 million tons of CO2 emissions. For more information, visit www.greenmountain.com.
For more information, contact:
Marci Grossman, 480.502.8100 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 480.502.8100 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, email@example.com