1. Applicants must be nonprofit organizations with programs benefiting communities where Green Mountain Energy Company does business, which includes specific ZIP codes in the following states:
- New Jersey
2. The Sun Club® does not provide funding for:
- For-profit entities
- Political organizations
- Religious organizations
3. Organizations must hold three years of current tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3), (4), (6) or (19) of the Internal Revenue Code. Applicants will be expected to provide three years of 990s, along with a W-9 to verify nonprofit status.
4. Nonprofits should have the following financial history:
- $250K in annual revenue per year for the past three years
- $100K raised through public support
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions you’d like to ask before starting the application process.
Complete the grant application on our site, and follow the posted instructions. Additional support materials may be submitted, along with your application, after you’ve completed the online form.
- Keep in mind, submitting an application doesn’t guarantee approval. We carefully evaluate each application to determine where our grants can provide the greatest assistance.
- We measure environmental, social and financial impacts: Environmental impact calculations consider how the project is more impactful for the planet than the alternative. Examples: CO2 prevented (renewable versus traditional generation methods), miles not driven, gallons of water conserved, green space created, pounds of waste diverted. Social impact calculations assess how the project will elicit change in the community. Examples: results of an email or newsletter story about the project, number of students impacted through curriculum, attendee numbers on sustainability tours. Financial impact calculations assess how the project will save your organization money, and how those savings can further support your mission. Example: a solar array would save your organization $2,000 per year, resulting in 100 more meals distributed to the homeless or 30 more children receiving free tuition.
- Complete applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis.
- After each quarterly review, we’ll reach out via email to let you know whether the application has been approved or declined.
- If your organization is approved, we’ll work closely with you on timelines, project details and planning a marketing/PR strategy to announce the project, while underway and upon completion.