We’re the energy company in Houston that makes going green a breeze.
Choose renewable energy in Houston for a cleaner planet.
As the nation’s longest-serving renewable energy retailer and a carbon-neutral company, we know the important role that renewable energy plays in making our future cleaner and greener. That’s why we’re proud to help Houstonians like you protect the environment by offering 100% clean electricity backed by wind or solar power, plus sustainable solutions to reduce your carbon footprint.
When you choose clean energy with us, you can prevent more than 22,000 pounds of CO2 from entering the atmosphere every year. That’s like taking your car off the road for 26,700 miles!1 That’s something that would make any Houstonian smile.
Enter your ZIP code to compare our electricity rates in
Houston, and find the plan that fits your lifestyle.
Help change the way power is made by choosing electricity made from 100% clean, renewable wind energy.
Go Local Solar
Let your Texas pride shine bright by powering your home using 100% solar energy from solar parks right here in the Lone Star State.
Why choose clean, renewable energy in your Houston home?
Renewable energy is made from sources like the sun and wind, which are naturally replenished and virtually inexhaustible. When you power your Houston home with renewable energy, you’re making a difference for the planet and growing the demand for a greener, more sustainable way of life. Demand from our customers is one of the reasons why renewable energy is the fastest-growing industry in the U.S.
Types of renewable energy in Houston, Texas
Want to learn more? Take a peek at how clean energy works.
Here are some of the benefits of choosing Green Mountain Energy
- Reduce your carbon footprint by harnessing clean energy to power your home.
- Get a 100% clean electricity plan from renewable sources like wind or solar.
- Support a cleaner electric grid by growing the demand for Texas renewable energy.
- Enjoy plans that offer free renewable energy every night.
- Buy carbon offsets to balance emissions from waste consumption, travel and more.
- Support sustainability solutions for nonprofits by donating to Green Mountain Energy Sun Club.
Energy competition in Houston, Texas
Since 2002, homes and businesses in Houston have had the power to choose which electricity provider will power their lives. Texas electricity customers have used this power to shop for electricity to meet their needs and their values. For us, the power of consumer choice means that we can take meaningful action to change the way electricity is made and help make tomorrow cleaner and greener.
How Houston, Texas electricity & energy providers get power to your home
In any given area in Texas, the Transmission and Distribution Service Provider (TDSP) owns, operates and maintains the region’s poles and wires. They’re also the ones who read your meter every billing cycle and respond to power outages when they occur. No matter which energy company in Houston you choose, you’ll always have the same TDSP.
In Houston and the surrounding areas — including Angleton, Alvin, Cypress, Galveston, Pasadena and Richmond — your TDSP is CenterPoint Energy.
Fun facts about clean energy in Houston:
- The City of Houston ranks #1 on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership Top 30 Local Government list, using solar and wind power for 90% of its energy usage.2
- Google’s Project Sunroof has rated Houston as having the most solar energy potential of any U.S. city, with an estimated 18,940 gigawatt hours of rooftop solar generation potential per year.3
- Houston’s solar capacity has more than doubled every year for the past two years, with a goal to reach 14% of the city’s electricity coming from rooftop solar by the year 2050.4
Go Houston! Here’s to a city that’s doing its part for the planet. The future looks bright.
These Houston communities can power their homes with renewable energy:
Houston Heights, TX
Sugar Land, TX
League City, TX
Ready to help build a cleaner, greener future for Houston and for Texas?
Enter your ZIP code to shop for plans in your area
and find the best way to green your lifestyle today.
1Impact statistic based on a Texas household with monthly usage of 2,000 kWh and an annual car mileage of 15,000.
2U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – Green Power Partnership Top 30 Local Government
3Google – Shedding light on solar potential in all 50 U.S. States