Yes. With our Renewable Rewards Perfect Match buyback plan, you receive credit for excess energy your solar or wind energy system delivers to the grid. For each billing period, the excess energy that you receive credit for is capped at your energy usage from the grid. Renewable Rewards Perfect Match is available only for Texas residential customers who meet the plan requirements.
Your credits will show up on the second page of your bill on the “GME Renewable Rewards Credit” line as highlighted in the example below:
When your solar panels produce electricity, that energy is first used to power your home. If your panels produce more energy than you need, the remaining energy is delivered to the grid. This is the excess energy that you receive credit for, which is capped at your grid usage for each billing period.
The excess energy credit for the Renewable Rewards Perfect Match plan is calculated monthly using the same per-kWh rate that you pay for usage from the grid.
For billing periods in which your excess energy is less than your grid usage, this rate is multiplied by the excess energy your system delivers to the grid as follows:
- Renewable Rewards credit amount = (energy charge rate in $/kWh) x (excess energy in kWh)
For billing periods in which your excess energy is greater than or equal to your grid usage, this rate is multiplied by your usage from the grid as follows:
- Renewable Rewards credit amount = (energy charge rate in $/kWh) x (grid usage in kWh)
The credit amount is exclusive of any monthly base charge, applicable taxes, fees and other charges (such as late fees, special meter reading fees, and fees related to the disconnection or connection of service).
Yes, your excess energy credits are capped for the Renewable Rewards Perfect Match plan. For each billing period, the excess energy credits you receive are capped at your usage from the grid. Your excess energy credits are calculated using the same per-kWh rate that you pay for your usage from the grid.
There are a few steps to take if you are not receiving excess energy credits:
- Wait for three billing cycles after receiving Permission To Operate (PTO) from your utility.
- If the issue persists, contact your solar installer to confirm your solar array has passed inspection and you have a signed Interconnection Agreement with your utility.
- If it has been more than three billing periods and your solar installer has completed the steps above, then reach out to Green Mountain Customer Care at 866-785-4668 to ask about your Renewable Rewards credits.
No. The excess energy credits are only applicable to the Renewable Rewards plan.
Both your energy usage and solar production vary each month because of factors including:
- Variable weather conditions—solar production is typically higher in the spring and summer
- Changing usage patterns—usage is typically higher in the summer
- Potential equipment malfunctions—if your system is underproducing, contact your solar installer
Your Renewable Rewards bill shows:
- Your energy usage from the grid, or the inflow of electricity through your meter. This is shown on the “Energy Charge” line.
- The excess solar energy you receive credits for. This is shown on the “GME Renewable Rewards Credit” line.
When your excess energy delivered to the grid is greater than your monthly usage from the grid, the kWh shown on the “GME Renewable Rewards Credit” line will match the kWh shown on the “Energy Charge” line on your Renewable Rewards Perfect Match bill. This is because the excess energy you receive credit for is capped at your usage from the grid for each billing period.
Both your grid usage and your excess energy are measured by the meter installed by your utility. The bill does not show your total solar production, which may be measured by your solar monitor. This is because some of the solar power is immediately used by your house and never flows to the grid. Green Mountain does not receive data on your total solar production.
There are a few different terms that describe energy your solar array produces and energy your house consumes, including:
- Solar production—the total electricity produced by your panels
- Solar consumption—the solar energy used to power your home
- Excess energy—any leftover solar energy delivered to the grid
- Grid usage—energy pulled from the grid when your panels do not produce enough electricity to cover your needs
Contact your utility below to learn more about interconnection to the grid and configuring your meter to separately measure the inflow and outflow of electricity from your home:
Texas New Mexico Power
AEP Central and AEP North
If you have questions about your electricity bill or plan, call Green Mountain at 866-785-4668.
If you have questions about your solar panels or don’t think your system is producing as much power as it should, contact your installer.
Renewable Rewards Perfect Match is available to new and existing residential customers in Texas that have installed home solar or small-scale wind systems with a capacity of 50 kW or less.
It’s pretty easy—just confirm the following requirements are met with your utility and solar installer before enrolling in Renewable Rewards Perfect Match:
- Have a home solar or wind system with a rated capacity less than 50 kW.
- Have an Interconnection Agreement in place with your utility.
- Have a meter configured by your utility that separately measures the inflow and outflow of electricity to and from your home.
Yes. You’ll need a meter configured by your utility that separately measures the inflow and outflow of electricity to and from your home. Your utility may charge for this meter, and these charges would be passed through to you on your Green Mountain bill.
Yes! Both current and new Green Mountain customers who meet the plan requirements listed above can enroll in Renewable Rewards Perfect Match. If you’re a current Green Mountain customer enrolled in a plan with a cancellation fee, we will waive that fee if you would like to switch to the Renewable Rewards Perfect Match plan, assuming all the requirements are met.
Existing Green Mountain customers in Texas can enroll in the Renewable Rewards Perfect Match plan by calling us at 866-785-4668 to switch their electricity plan to Renewable Rewards Perfect Match.
New customers in Texas can enroll in Renewable Rewards Perfect Match online, or call us at 866-301-3120.
You can enroll at any time, but to ensure that you receive credit for your excess solar energy as soon as possible, we recommend setting your Renewable Rewards Perfect Match enrollment date to be the same day you expect to receive Permission To Operate (PTO) from your utility. You can set your enrollment date for Renewable Rewards Perfect Match up to 60 days in advance.
How long does it take after I enroll in Renewable Rewards Perfect Match to start receiving excess energy credits?
It can take up to three billing cycles after you receive Permission To Operate (PTO) and are signed up on Renewable Rewards Perfect Match before excess energy credits appear on your Renewable Rewards Perfect Match bill. Both Green Mountain and your utility must make system changes to process your excess energy readings, and these changes take time to complete.