Jersey Mike’s Subs is a unique sandwich shop making authentic Northeast style sub sandwiches with freshly sliced meat on fresh baked bread for over 50 years. Two franchises in the Dallas/Fort Worth area were interested in a way to actively manage, track and reduce their energy consumption.
Jersey Mike’s Subs makes fresh sliced, authentic Northeast style sub sandwiches on fresh baked bread. In operation for over 50 years, Jersey Mike’s Subs differentiates itself from other sandwich shops with its premium quality meats and cheeses served Mike’s Way™ — with onions, lettuce, tomatoes, oil, vinegar and spices. The original sandwich shop was off the Jersey shore in Point Pleasant, NJ, and is still in operation today, along with more than 750 additional locations open and under development throughout the United States.
In 2010, two franchises of Jersey Mike’s Subs in the Dallas/Fort Worth area signed up for cleaner energy with Green Mountain Energy Company. However, since energy usage is one of the most significant operating costs for restaurants, they were also interested in a way to actively manage and reduce their energy consumption.
- Green Mountain Energy™ Solutions teamed up with EnTouch Controls, which has a proprietary Energy Management System (EMS) that allows customers to monitor energy consumption, manage their costs and identify opportunities for savings.
- Green Mountain and EnTouch conducted an initial review of Jersey Mike’s Subs’ annual electricity bills and determined that baseline consumption for each store averaged between 275-300 kilowatt hours (kWh) per day; this equated to spending nearly $15,000 per year on energy.
- EnTouch EMS was installed at both locations along with HVAC controls to manage setpoints, schedules and sequencing. Sub-meters were also installed to provide branch load monitoring for HVAC, lighting and kitchen equipment energy usage.
After three months of trial testing the EnTouch EMS and controls, Jersey Mike’s Subs was able to identify key opportunities to optimize energy consumption during occupied and non-occupied times, resulting in:
- 18% reduction in normalized1 electricity usage and 14% reduction in natural gas usage
- 30% reduction in HVAC run time, thereby extending the equipment lifespan
- More than $2,000 in estimated energy savings the first year
- Real-time visibility to energy usage data which enabled an immediate, corrective response to an HVAC issue that saved nearly $3,000
Signing my stores up for cleaner electricity from Green Mountain was the first step in reducing my impact on the environment. But working with Green Mountain and EnTouch controls to measure my energy usage and manage it helped my business have an even bigger environmental impact and, importantly, offered significant financial benefits, too.
–Steve Ziegler, Franchise Owner, Jersey Mike’s Subs
1 Weather, Energy intensity (kWh consumption/ $ revenue).