We’ve outlined a few key ways that we “walk the walk” below:
- Our customers make a difference. We offer consumers and businesses the choice of cleaner electricity, as well as carbon offsets and sustainable solutions for businesses. Since 1997, our customers have avoided 30.6 billion pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2), which is like:
taking 2.9 million cars off the road for a year;
17.6 million households turning off their lights for a year; or
planting 3.6 million trees.
Check out our customers’ environmental impact by year.
- We stand behind our products. We open our books each year to a third-party auditor who confirms our customers are getting what we’ve promised, tying 100% of the renewable energy and carbon offsets our customers purchase through the chain of ownership back to the renewable energy or offset project owner. Learn more about our product standards.
- We support healthy ecosystems. We have worked with American Forests to plant more than 250,000 trees on behalf of our customers since 1997.
- We’re renewably powered. We use 100% renewable energy in all of our offices. That includes the 100% wind energy we use to power this website. We also recently installed an energy monitoring system in our corporate headquarters to help us better manage our energy use.
- We’re carbon-neutral (or pretty darn close). We have measured and worked to reduce our corporate greenhouse gas emissions each year since 1998. Since 2005, we have taken the extra step to offset 100% of our measured corporate carbon footprint (we don’t yet track emissions from waste).
- We love LEED®. Our Austin headquarters is the first LEED Platinum tenant office space in Austin. Plus, we’re located in a LEED for Existing Buildings Gold certified building. See photos and read more about our home.
- We strive for zero waste. Our Austin headquarters has a comprehensive recycling and composting program, and our other offices are adding new waste reduction and reuse options all the time.
- We share our story. Since 1999, we have issued a sustainability report that discloses our corporate environmental policies and performance. In line with our efforts to integrate sustainable practices into everything we do, we’ve recently incorporated information about our sustainability efforts throughout our website (you’re reading about it now!). Read past reports.
- We take action. Our volunteer employee sustainability team influences company environmental policies, like our printing and purchasing standards, and organizes educational and volunteer events, like street clean-ups. See photos of past events.
- We give back. We encourage employees to give to EarthShare® and the Green Mountain Energy Sun Club®. We also invite all employees to attend Sun Club solar dedications at local non-profits.