We’ve outlined a few key ways that we “walk the walk” below:
- Our customers make a difference. We offer consumers and businesses the choice of cleaner electricity, as well as carbon offsets and sustainable solutions for businesses. Since 1997, our customers have avoided 54.4 billion pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2), which is like:
taking 5.9 million cars off the road for a year;
49.8 million households turning off their lights for a year; or
planting 6.4 million trees.
Check out our customers’ environmental impact by year.
- We stand behind our products. We open our books each year to a third-party auditor who confirms our customers are getting what we’ve promised, tying 100% of the renewable energy and carbon offsets our customers purchase through the chain of ownership back to the renewable energy or offset project owner. Learn more about our product standards.
- We’re renewably powered. We use 100% renewable energy in all of our offices. That includes the 100% wind energy we use to power this website.
- We’re carbon-neutral (or pretty darn close). We have measured our corporate greenhouse gas emissions each year since 1998. Since 2005, we have taken the extra step to offset 100% of our measured corporate carbon footprint.
- We take action. Our volunteer employee sustainability team influences company environmental policies, like our printing and purchasing standards, and organizes educational and volunteer events, like street clean-ups.
- We give back. We encourage employees to give to the Green Mountain Energy Sun Club®. We also invite all employees to attend Sun Club solar dedications at local non-profits.