Help lower your carbon footprint by living green.
Watch the videos below for insight on saving energy at home — and lowering your electricity bills along the way.
Heating and cooling Follow these tips to keep your home comfy all year long while saving energy. Watch video >
Water heater Get energy-saving tips for your water heater — a home’s second biggest energy user. Watch video >
Large appliances Learn how changes both large and small can help you conserve energy. Watch video >
Lighting Brighten up your life — and the planet — with these energy-efficient lighting options. Watch video >
More ways to conserve energy:
- Invest in a smart themostat to help with efficiency.
- Seal gaps in windows, doors and air ducts.
- Switch to energy-efficient LED lighting.
- Unplug infrequently-used electronics.
- Keep your refrigerator well-stocked so it uses less energy to keep contents cold.
- Lower your water heater temperature to 120 degrees.
- Keep areas around vents clear of furniture, toys and clutter.
- Replace air filters and schedule regular HVAC tune-ups.
- Make sure your next new appliance is ENERGY STAR® certified.
Energy-saving tips for hot weather:
- Raise your thermostat four degrees when you’re not at home.
- Set your ceiling fan to rotate counterclockwise and use it to circulate cool air.
- Close curtains during the day, or tilt your blinds to direct sunlight toward the ceiling.
- Wash clothes and dishes at night, and ensure loads are full.
- Enjoy some free A/C with others at a movie theater, shopping mall, gym or other indoor venue.
Energy-saving tips for cold weather:
- Lower your thermostat four degrees when you’re not at home.
- Set your ceiling fan to rotate clockwise and use it to recirculate heat that has risen.
- Open south-facing blinds and curtains during the day.
- Make sure your attic has enough insulation, including around the access door.
- Opt for extra layers or get cozy under a warm blanket.