Refresh. Revamp. Rejuvenate. Spring is the season for making changes and trying new things. Connect with the planet by making sustainability an everyday routine.
- Avoid artificial fertilizers and opt for organic ones made from plant or animal by-products. You can also start composting.
- Choose plants native to your area to cut down on watering.
- Plant your own fruits and veggies to avoid harmful pesticide residue.
- Keep bees on the comeback by planting flowers to attract them.
- Switch to solar-powered lights in your yard or garden.
- Start capturing rainwater for all your watering needs.
Green your cleaning routine
- Non-toxic or plant-based cleaning products work just as well as chemical cleaners. Give vinegar, water, borax and baking soda a try.
- Don’t toss out perfectly good shoes and clothes from your closet just because you’ve worn them a time or two. Try using them a few months longer to avoid creating more manufacturing and textile needs.
- Rags over paper towels is the way to go since you can wash and reuse them during your next cleaning binge.
- When doing floor duty, be sure to use a reusable mop versus a single-use mop-pad system.
- Reuse whenever possible. Socks can become cleaning rags, and frames from wall art you want to get rid of can be used on the next piece you plan to hang.
- Be sure you’re washing full loads of dishes. And let them air-dry.
- Unplug electronics and appliances when not in use to avoid “phantom” loads.
- Go for energy-saving bulbs, like LEDs, over standard or incandescent light bulbs.
- Get a tune-up for your air conditioning system to ensure it’s running in tip-top shape.
- Take advantage of smart thermostats and other smart devices to help manage electricity usage.
- Ensure your water heater is wrapped with an insulation jacket, and turn the temperature down a few degrees.
As the colors of Earth come back to life and critters start to scamper in the warm sunlight, please do your part to keep the planet clean. You can be sustainable all year long with the electricity in your home by signing up for clean energy today.
And for more tips on living sustainably and greening your life, check out our Eco Tips.
Find a clean electricity plan that meets your household’s needs.
Enter your ZIP code to get started.