If you want a summertime pick-me-up, learn about a handful of foods that can boost your mood.
- What’s yellow and grows in a bunch? You guessed it, a banana. Bananas can help lift your spirits thanks to a combination of vitamins, fiber, iron, potassium, tryptophan and healthy carbohydrates.
Recipe tip: Use as flapjack topper, frozen in a berry smoothie or mashed and baked in banana bread.
- Find a nutcracker because walnuts are next on the list. Walnuts provide a healthy dose of omega-3s, which have been linked to better moods.
Recipe tip: Add them in at lunch or breakfast as a salad or yogurt topper.
- Take me out to the ballgame…for sunflower seeds! A handful of sunflower seeds contains half the daily recommended dose of magnesium–a mineral that helps with calmness and relaxation.
Recipe tip: Toss them into a salad or give your tuna melt a little crunch.
- Chocoholics, rejoice! For the best benefits of this smooth and creamy treat, go for dark chocolate with a cocoa level of 70% or higher. Natural stimulants like caffeine and theobromine help boost your energy levels.
Recipe tip: No explanation necessary on this one!
- Which came first: the chicken or the egg? We aren’t answering this brain-teaser, but we can tell you that eggs provide a protein punch. Protein can help stabilize blood sugar, which decreases the chance for emotional highs and lows.
Recipe tip: Hard-boiled works for on-the-go, while scrambled in the morning starts your day just right.
Whether you call it “boosting your mood,” “elevating your emotional state” or “improving your mental well-being,” we all benefit from feeling upbeat and enjoying a brighter day.
It’s important that we also remember to brighten the day for our planet. Make a positive impact on the environment by switching to clean energy for your home or business.
Find a clean electricity plan that meets your household’s needs.
Enter your ZIP code to get started.