Klean Kanteen®, makers of the original stainless steel, Bisphenol A (BPA) free water bottle, takes the term “sustainability” very seriously. One key component of the company’s sustainability plan is its commitment to offsetting the carbon footprint from all orders placed through the online retail store at www.kleankanteen.com.
Klean Kanteen® is a family-owned purveyor of healthy, durable alternatives to single-use products. The company pioneered the reusable stainless steel bottle category when it was founded in 2004 to give people a safer, longer-lasting option than plastic and lined aluminum bottles. With a genuine spirit of mindfulness, Klean Kanteen® continues to provide innovative solutions that elevate the social and environmental values of business and community.
At Klean Kanteen® “sustainability” is a word that isn’t used lightly. “The practice of sustainability really comes down to taking responsibility for the choices we make as a business and as individuals. Each day we make choices that contribute to health and prosperity for ourselves and others OR detract from them,” said Danielle Cresswell, Sustainability Officer at Klean Kanteen®. “Reliance on non-renewable resources, such as coal and petroleum, has been shown to significantly damage human and environmental health now and in the future. While Klean Kanteen®’s effort alone to find alternative energy solutions can not directly halt the harm, the effort and voice supporting such action is prudent and responsible.”
Klean Kanteen® came to Green Mountain Energy Company in early 2009 looking for ways to reduce the company’s carbon footprint, and thus its environmental impact, as much as possible. They were interested in offsetting the carbon associated with business operations in their offices and distribution center, as well as the carbon emissions associated with shipping Klean Kanteen® products to customers worldwide.
- Green Mountain kicked off the project by assessing the electricity use at the Klean Kanteen® headquarters and distribution center in Chico, California and matching their usage with an equivalent number of renewable energy certificates (RECs) to balance out the environmental impact.
- Additionally, Green Mountain set up a Green Shipping program, which allowed Klean Kanteen® to include carbon offsets with every online order to balance out the environmental impact of shipping products to customers. Using the Greenhouse Gas Protocols developed by the World Resources Institute, Green Mountain determined the average carbon footprint of a shipment by factoring in average weight, maximum possible distance and mode of transportation. Each green shipment offsets 50 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2), which is like opting to bike instead of driving 45 miles, or as much as three trees can absorb in one year.
- Furthermore, a portion of the funds collected from Klean Kanteen®’s Green Shipping program are set aside for the donation of solar panels to one of Klean Kanteen®’s worthy non-profit partners. Green Mountain’s experience with small scale solar installations from our successful Sun Club® program helped facilitate this innovative project.
The environmental commitment that Klean Kanteen® has made through these clean energy and green shipping initiatives has made a real impact. In the three years since the program’s inception, 2.6 million pounds of CO2 emissions have been avoided. That’s like:
- The amount of CO2 absorbed by 159,000 trees in one year, or
- Not driving 2.9 million miles, or
- Recycling 6.5 million aluminum cans
For more information on the Klean Kanteen® and Green Mountain partnership, visit http://www.kleankanteen.com/friends/greenmountainenergy.php