C3 Presents creates, books, markets and produces live experiences, concerts, events, and just about anything that makes people stand up and cheer. C3 produces the Austin City Limits Music Festival and Lollapalooza in Chicago. Along with these multi-day, multi-stage festivals, C3 books and promotes more than 1,000 concerts in arenas, theaters, casinos, and clubs across the U.S. In 2010, C3 was the number three promoter by sales in the US, and the number seven worldwide. In addition to event creation and booking, C3 manages the careers of select artists.
Large-scale concerts and events, such as ACL and Lollapalooza draw crowds of up to 70,000 people per day and can take a toll on the environment. While C3 had already taken several steps to reduce its environmental impact, the company was still concerned with the emissions resulting from the use of on-site generators, employee travel, artist travel and electricity required to power the stages.
- After analyzing fuel use, travel, commuting, and electricity, Green Mountain Energy Company provided C3 with a complete emissions inventory for each event as well as for operations at their corporate headquarters in Austin.
- Green Mountain procured Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) from projects located near the regions where the events take place and near their headquarters office to offset 100% of C3’s annual electricity usage. RECs are cost effective and work independently of C3’s retail power supply.
- C3 also purchased Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and Climate Action Reserve (CAR) certified carbon offsets to neutralize the emissions associated with employees’ air and vehicle travel, vendors’ air and vehicle travel, festival vehicles and event generators.
- C3 and Green Mountain created the Green Mountain Energy® FanTag, which provides C3’s music fans the opportunity to offset their personal travel-related emissions. When a customer buys a festival ticket they can purchase a Green Mountain Energy FanTag for an extra $3.00 to offset the average amount of pollution created by traveling to ACL or Lollapalooza.
To date, over 28,000 FanTags have been sold and over 21 million pounds of CO2 emissions have been avoided because of C3’s partnership with Green Mountain. To put that in perspective, that’s like:
- Taking 100,000 cars off the road for one week
- The amount of carbon absorbed annually by over 1.3 million trees
- Over 6 million houses turning their lights off for one day
- Recycling a stack of newspapers over 135 miles high
Additional Services Provided By Green Mountain
- Marketing – PR message maps, environmental talking points, website copy and media content for green ticketing sales and joint press releases
- Annual Carbon Emissions Profile and Environmental Impact Statements to feature on C3presents.com, Corporate Sustainability Reports, and specific event websites
- Certificates of Purchase