For every year we’ve been building on our mission to change the way power is made, we are sharing a Green Mountain Energy (GME) fun fact with you – consider them little trinkets that may be interesting to you.
1. August 6, 1997, marks the day our operations began in an old airplane hangar with giant globes hanging from the ceilings to remind employees of the significance of their work.
2. On Earth Day in 1999, we dedicated a 50kW solar array in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.
3. In July 1999, Green Mountain signed Birkenstock Footprint Sandals, Inc. as its first Wind for the Future 2.0 large commercial customer.
4. Green Mountain Energy Solar 2000 Mendocino, one of the largest solar arrays in Northern California, was built in September 1999.
5. In 1999, we were recognized by CIO Magazine’s “100 Award” as one of 100 organizations using IT in innovative ways to deliver business value.
6. Green Mountain Wind Farm in Garrett, Pennsylvania, the first utility-scale wind farm in the state, was the largest wind farm on the East Coast at the time (May 2000).
7. In May 2000, Toyota’s North American headquarters in California was served with 100% renewable energy thanks to us.
8. We achieved the 500,000 customer milestone in 2001.
9. The first Green Mountain Energy Sun Club® solar installation was dedicated in May 2002 at the Winston School in Dallas, Texas.
10. In August 2002, we supported the generation of enough wind power to cover a 38-city tour performed by Bonnie Raitt and Lyle Lovett. It was Raitt’s first-ever traveling show sharing the message of clean energy and sustainable living.
11. Magazine listed us on its Inc. 500 list of the 500 fastest-growing private companies in October 2005.
12. We launched the Texas BeGreen Driver program in January 2009, giving our customers the opportunity to offset the carbon footprints of our BeGreen Driver customers’ cars for a year.
13. The Empire State Building becomes a Green Mountain customer and New York City’s largest commercial purchaser of 100% renewable energy at the time (January 2011).
14. In January 2012, GME supplied renewable energy to offset greenhouse gas emissions associated with the electricity used at the major sports venues for the Big Game.
15. GME launched an online store in July 2014 to begin selling products that help customers save energy and water at home and on the go.
16. In 2015, the Green Mountain Energy Sun Club® program began to operate as an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) and expanded its mission and scope to go beyond solar power to solutions for a sustainable lifestyle.
17. To date, the Green Mountain Energy Sun Club (in its old form and its new non-profit form) has donated four million dollars to nearly 100 non-profit organizations.
18. As a green power pioneer, GME is the longest-serving renewable energy retailer.
19. Since the beginning in 1997, our customers have helped to prevent 7 billion pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2).
That last milestone is incredible! It has been achieved because of our committed customers. Our customers chose clean energy, reducing the need for fossil fuels and helping to avoid harmful greenhouse gas emissions. To give you more insight into what 45.7 billion pounds of CO2 really means, think if of it in terms of:
- Taking 4.9 million cars off the road for a year
- 9 million households turning off their lights for a year
- Planting 5.4 million trees