When you first thought about the climate change fight, you probably pictured a group of loud protesters in front of Capitol Hill. Today’s reality is much different than that. There’s an increased number of communities, organizations, businesses and various other groups rallying together to make strides in the fight against climate change.
Still skeptical? Some of these milestones and accomplishments might give you a different perspective:
- The Paris Climate Pact called for holding the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2° C above pre-industrial levels.
- Global EV sales more than doubled between 2011 and 2012.
- The EPA finalized the Clean Power Plan Rule to cut carbon pollution from existing power plants.
- The U.S invested a total of $56 billion in clean energy technologies last year.
- Renewable energy projects are multiplying as technology costs decline.
- Modern grid infrastructure is a main focus in the U.S. (smart meters, monitoring systems, solar installations).
- Installation of rooftop solar systems grew 66% from 2014–2015.
- State and federal policies encourage development of clean energy.
- Big retailers are striving to become 100% renewably powered (solar commercial installations had their highest year in 2015).
You, too, can help in the fight against climate change by choosing how you power your home. Sadly, most of the electricity in the U.S. is made from dirty, polluting, non-renewable sources, such as coal. On the other hand, clean energy is 100% pollution-free and produced from renewable sources that are naturally replenished and virtually inexhaustible. Make an impact by ensuring your energy is produced from natural, renewable sources like the sun and wind. Sign up for a Green Mountain Energy renewable electricity plan today.