EDITOR’S NOTE: We launched our new online specialty products store to offer portable solar products from Goal Zero® to sunshine enthusiasts everywhere. This blog series details our customers’ and employees’ experiences with the products to shed some light on how solar power works on-the-go.
Name: Natalie G., Green Mountain Energy employee
Location: Austin, TX
Goal Zero® Product (Category): Switch 8 (Battery)
- What do you think about portable power? Do you have other similar portable power devices? Portable power is quickly becoming a necessity for busy people to stay connected, and is reassuringly convenient. I never have to worry about my phone not having juice. I have a small, cheap portable solar panel from SXSW that is supposed to charge phones but it didn’t work after placing it in the sun. My husband also has a small portable battery recharger with USB port.
- How did you use the portable solar (or portable power) device? I used the GZ Switch 8 while traveling abroad in Europe. To my surprise, I didn’t even have to buy an adapter because the USB port plugged in to the DVD drives in our various rental apts. I recharged the batteries quickly while in between excursions and carried it in my purse for power on demand, especially on long days (museums and the beach!).
- What were the greatest benefits you experienced using the device? Ease of use, reliable power source, USB connectivity made it especially simple to charge from other devices, and compact & lightweight for my purse.
- What surprised you about the product? It charged my phone quickly which was helpful but it also became very hot at times.
- Who would you recommend use it, and for what sort of activities? Anyone who routinely needs to power your phone away from home. I didn’t try it for my digital camera yet – it may help with other devices.
— GOAL ZERO (@GoalZero) August 22, 2014
View other product reviews: