Today, the Austin Business Journal shared the good news that our Green Mountain Energy headquarters office received LEED® Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Business Council (USGBC)! LEED is the foremost program for the design, construction, and operation of green buildings, and Platinum is the highest designation offered by the USGBC.
This designation makes Green Mountain HQ the first commercial interior to be awarded LEED Platinum certification in Austin, Texas. Located in the heart of downtown, our office has a profound appreciation for the integrity and beauty of this city, and we’re proud to be a part of it.
You can take a virtual tour of our office via Flickr below:
- Up-cycled Furnishings: 100% of our office furniture was reused, and 15% of all other materials were repurposed, including wood salvaged from shipping crates that decorates many of our walls.
- Powered by Renewables: All of our electricity is provided by non-polluting renewable sources, avoiding an estimated 744,200 pounds of carbon dioxide each year.
- Green Commuter-Friendly: Changing rooms with showers encourage green commutes and exercise along the nearby Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail.
- Water Conscious: Low-flow faucets and dual-flush toilets cut water usage by 50% compared to conventional offices, saving nearly 155,000 gallons of water per year – that’s enough to fill 8 residential swimming pools!
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Recycling and composting options are strategically placed throughout the office, and we use reusable or compostable plates and utensils. Employees can also bring in light bulbs, batteries and plastic bags from home for appropriate recycling.
- Smart Electricity Use: Sub-metered electricity, occupancy-sensing lights and natural lighting help cut down on our electricity consumption, saving the equivalent of 330 households turning off their lights for a month or unplugging 350 business laptops for a year.