A group of Green Mountain Energy employees recently attended and participated in Renewable Energy Markets 2013, an annual conference focused on the clean energy industry. This year, the conference came to Austin, our home base.
Below are some key takeaways from our employees who attended the event:
- Solar is installed every 4 minutes in the U.S., according to FERC Chairman Jon Wellinghoff. With our new SolarSPARC™ product, we hope to make solar even more commonplace.
- BMW, a Green Mountain partner on the ActiveE EV program, is introducing its third generation electric vehicle, the i3, nationwide in 2014. It will be built from carbon fiber and weigh only 2,700 lbs., roughly half the weight of the previous version. It also will have up to 100-mile all-electric range. A full charge will take 3 hours (using 240V).
- Jenny Heeter from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), shared these NREL 2012 voluntary renewable energy stats :
- In 2012, nearly 1.9mm customers purchased 48.6M MWh of renewable energy in the voluntary U.S. market, representing 1.3% of total U.S. electricity sales
- Wind represented 80% of U.S. renewable sales