Our Austin employees unleashed a “Yee-haw!” heard ‘round Central Texas today as we earned Platinum status in the Austin Green Business Leaders program. As we constructed our new Austin office space earlier this year, we kept the environment forefront in our mind, and those efforts contributed to our status as a certified-Platinum Austin Green Business Leader. We’re also hoping they will earn us another Platinum designation for LEED® later this year. Just like “you are what you eat,” we believe you are where you work.
Highlights of the new office, which you can see in our Flickr album, include:
- Repurposed wood from shipping crates installed on many of our wall spaces
- Use of occupancy sensing-lights and lots of natural lighting
- Low-flow faucet aerators to avoid wasting water
- Composting and recycling options, including for cell phones, ink cartridges, batteries, and plastic bags not provided through the building’s recycling collection
- Sub-metered electricity use and an energy management system to help us more closely monitor and manage our energy use through in-office displays and competitions
Becoming a member of the Austin Green Business Leaders means becoming a member of Austin’s green business network, and Green Mountain is excited to join the ranks of those helping to create a more livable and sustainable city. To learn more about what it takes to be a Green Business Leader, check out the program’s website.
We’re also proud to announce we are the Premier Sponsor of the Hill Country Conservancy’s Fourth Annual Give 5% to Mother Earth campaign this Earth Day! Local Austin businesses have committed to donate five percent of their gross sales on April 22nd to a handful of non-profits that dedicate their time and energy to making Central Texas a better place. A press conference featuring local leaders and non-profit beneficiaries will be held at our Earth-friendly office space on Earth Day. Stay tuned for pictures from that event.
— Green Mountain (@GreenMtnEnergy) July 5, 2013