Today Green Mountain Energy Company is celebrating its 15th year of changing the way power is made, thanks to our customers across the U.S.!
15 years ago today, the founders of Green Mountain Energy Company set out on a mission to give consumers more than just the choice of who their electricity provider was – we wanted to give them the choice of how their power is made. We also believe that if people have a choice, they’ll choose to participate in making the world a better place. To date, our customers have helped avoid more than 19.4 billion pounds of carbon dioxide emissions by choosing to use wind, sun and water…for good.
To mark the milestone, we’re taking a look at how far clean energy has come over the last 15 years, and what the future of clean energy could look like 15 years from now if we continue to take action today. Our INFOGRAPHIC illustrates that:
- Twenty-eight times as much wind energy is produced in the U.S. today than in 1997.
- The U.S. clean energy sector has grown at a rate of 8.3 percent annually, nearly double the growth rate of the overall economy.
- If every household in the U.S. chose pollution-free electricity, we could avoid 1.5 trillion pounds of CO2 emissions – that’s like shutting down 170 coal-fired power plants.
- 800 billion kilowatt-hours of solar energy could be produced if we filled every eligible home and business rooftop in the U.S. with solar panels. That’s enough to provide one-fifth of the nation’s annual electricity needs.
- 15 years from now, 12 million Americans are projected to have traded in their conventional gas-powered cars for electric vehicles – that could avoid more than 6,800 million gallons of gasoline and save drivers $20.9 billion in fuel costs each year!
What’s YOUR vision for a clean energy future? What are your personal environmental goals for the future? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook.