The Green Mountain Energy™ Sun Club™ is now collecting applications from Texas organizations looking to reduce their environmental impact, lower their electricity bills, and standout as role models in the communities they serve. If you work for or know of a non-profit that would be a good candidate for solar, we encourage you to apply!
As you may know, the Sun Club is a voluntary program that allows Green Mountain Energy Company residential customers to make monthly contributions on their bills to support these local solar installations and education efforts. Since the Sun Club’s founding in 2002, 35 solar installations have been made to a variety of non-profits in the communities Green Mountain serves. Texas recipients include Singularity Solar Energy, Habitat for Humanity, University of Houston, Ronald McDonald House, Girl Scouts, Texas State Aquarium and many other service organizations.
Sun Club members have helped install almost 500 kilowatts of solar power, which helps the non-profit recipients avoid 1.0 million pounds of carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions each year. That’s like not driving 1.1 million miles or recycling 3.3 million aluminum cans instead of sending them to the landfill! In addition, solar systems can help reduce the amount of electricity needed from the grid, helping non-profits reduce their electricity costs.
All non-profits located in Green Mountain service territories in Texas are encouraged to apply. Evaluation criteria include the organization’s:
- Interest in owning and maintaining a solar generation system on its property
- Location and whether it coincides with Green Mountain’s service territory in parts of Texas where customers are able to choose their electricity service provider
- Mission and contribution to its community
- Willingness and ability to provide public education about solar energy and its donated installation through onsite signage, press and public events
- Ongoing public exposure to solar energy and the Sun Club
Applications from Texas non-profits are due by August 31, 2012, so apply soon! To apply for a donation or to find out more information, visit the Sun Club website at gmsunclub.com.