Now’s the time to get your home’s energy-efficiency in check because October is Energy Awareness Month!
Now’s the time to get your home’s energy-efficiency in check because October is Energy Awareness Month! Since the Presidential Proclamation in 1991, the month of October has been dedicated to spreading energy awareness and going green. Help out your world, local community, and yourself with these simple tips to saving energy at home:
- Pay your Bills online – Not only does this provide a convenience to you with the ability to pay them anywhere, it also reduces paper usage and waste. Green Mountain customers can enroll on paperless billing to pay their Green Mountain Energy® bill online. Sign up via My Account.
- During cooler months, turning down your thermostat only one degree can lower your heating bill by three percent!
- Switch out an incandescent light bulb in your home for a compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs)-they last ten times longer and use up to 75% less energy. If every household in America did this, we would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes for a year and prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to more than 800,000 cars.
- Be proactive in conserving your energy usage by getting into the habit of turning off lights when leaving a room.
- Taking small steps such as shutting down your computer and other electronics at night will help reduce your energy consumption.
- Washing full loads of laundry and dishes will cut down your energy bill and will reduce wasteful water usage habits.
- Use the sunlight to your advantage. During winter, open the shades and blinds on sunny days as a way to light and heat the interior of your home. However, be sure to close them at night to reduce the amount of heat that is lost through the windows.